From the time it opened in the early summer of 1891 until W.G. Clark from Altoona took over, Hotel Lawrence was named Hotel Oliver. Hotel Lawrence was a summer resort for people from the cities and was surrounded by a beautiful park and picnic grounds. The hotel itself had electric lights, steam heat, pool halls, and a bowling alley.
Mr. Clark had already been in the hotel business for many years when he took over the lease, changed the name of the hotel, and became the manager of the Hotel Lawrence. W.G. Clark ran the hotel but the popularity of the beautiful hotel and park continued to decline. Finally in 1915, the building and land were sold to the Ellwood City school board and converted to a school building and apartments until it was torn down in 1925 to make room for the newly planned civic center that included Lincoln High School, Hartman Elementary School, a public library and more.
The civic center obviously never happened due in a large part to the Great Depression and the lack of money needed for a project so large. If you would like to leave a comment, please do so below or email us at email@example.com