Mrs. Kay Garwig owned a boarding house in Frisco that had to be torn down when the railroad tunnel was dug out beginning in 1890. The single mother moved into the budding town in 1891 and purchased one of the original Hazel Dell land owner’s houses, the Petit house. Mrs. Garwig turned the house into a boarding house for the railroad workers, passengers on the P & W Railroad, & everyone else who came along.
The Nathaniel Petit & John B. Hazen houses were the only houses north of the new tracks but south of the creek. Beginning in 1891 a number of houses started to be built along Fifth Street north of the tracks. There is a little bit of a mystery as to the original location of the house as it had to be moved. One book mentions that the Petit homestead formerly stood near the “future” site of the Hamilton Brothers on Fifth Street. Another article hints that the house had to be moved because it was located on land designated for the railroad.
After Meritt Green, on behalf of the Pittsburg Company, purchased the family farm, Mr. Green and his family moved into the Petit house. The house was moved less than one hundred yards between Fifth Street and Sixth Street facing Spring Avenue. It was eventually torn down and the site is now occupied by the Alpha Apartments. Until recently there stood an old dilapidated one story wooden house behind the apartments that looked like it hadn’t been lived in for the last hundred years. Mrs. Garwig had given her daughter the land behind the boarding house at her wedding in 1894 and later lived in the new house in the rear of the apartments.