In 1914, the Ellwood City School Board purchased the crown jewel of Ellwood City, the Hotel Lawrence located where Fifth Street meets Cresent Ave for $19,000. The School Board did not tear down the Hotel right away, instead converting the twenty-two year old building into a make-shift school house. The rooms on the first floor of the Hotel were turned into school rooms while the second story was rented out as apartments until the building was torn down in 1923 to build the current Lincoln High School.
The large auditorium was added at the end of the 1920′s and the first assembly was held there in 1930. The football and baseball field known as Lincoln Field was moved to Ewing Park and renamed Helling Stadium in 1953. The field at the school was removed when the school remodeled again in 1961. During that particular restructuring, the South wing of the school was torn down along with the field to make room for the current cafeteria, the music department, superintendent offices, large gym, and a parking lot. Ms. Dorothy Ednie kindly pointed out that due to some of the classrooms being destroyed during this remodeling process Lincoln High School was forced to go to split school days. Half of the students would start school early in the morning and end the school day around lunchtime while the other half began after lunch and was in school until around 5pm.
Today, Lincoln High School is part of the Ellwood City Area School District and includes students from Ellwood City, Ellport, Wampum and the townships of Perry and Wayne. Lincoln is home to both the Junior and Senior High School for grades 7-12. The total enrollment in Lincoln High School including both the Junior and Senior High is approx. 1,080 students.
Please share your favorite memory (or memories) of Lincoln High School by either leaving a comment just below or on the forum page, or email us by CLICKING HERE.
You can view the Lincoln High School trophy case by CLICKING HERE.