When it became time to get a steel bridge there was a lot of debate as to where it should cross. Eventually the new bridge was installed 150 yards downstream from the covered bridge, connecting Sixth Street and College Street.
After 30+ years, a new bridge was built in 1915, a little upstream at Fifth Street causing an odd little “round-a-bout” on the North end of the bridge around Dom’s (later 7-11), Red Hot’s, and the various stores that occupied the little strip over the years. The Veterans Bridge (Fifth Street) stood until 1994 when construction began on the current Fifth Street bridge that was dedicated in 1995 to the Veterans of Ellwood City and to the 100th graduating class of Lincoln High School.
Originally Published on Dec. 16, 2008